[SEL] Austral Adverts Question

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Sat Mar 17 14:36:31 PDT 2007

> Ahhh, that's amazing.  Those of us outside Oz just have no appreciation
> for what a major problem that was.  From 24 wild rabbits released at
> Barwon Park by Thomas Austin in 1859 you went to being plagued by
> billions
> & billions by just the early 1900's.  The little buggers were going at
> it,
> well, like rabbits.  8-))

Well, in 1890 a bunch of nuts who wanted to introduce to the U.S. every
animal mentioned in Shakespeare's plays released 60 European starlings
in Central Park in New York City, then 40 more in 1891. My gutters are
full of nests of those buggers right now. I'd sure like to get rid of
them. Maybe if  ran a Maytag with the exhaust hose in my downspouts?

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA