[SEL] Attention Aussies - Austral Question

Patrick M Livingstone pml1 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 8 02:53:47 PST 2007

Arnie/Dave. I will try and cover a few random things :)
First, if you don't already have one I would recommend getting a copy of the
Ronaldson-Tippett Engine Book (i.e. the Austral Manual). It is very, very
detailed and will answer all of the questions on the engine. You can get it
from:
http://www.rallybadges.com.au/  (also Greg at Rallybadges is an Austral nut
as well).
The timing valve is not needed to run the engine it is only to prevent
pre-ignition under load. I have happily run my engine with it locked open.
The ignition coil(s) are also not 100% necessary although without it you
would need to be pumping some serious heat into the engine to keep it
running. My engine is running its original mild steel primary coil but I do
not have a starting coil in the lower chamber. Some of the guys have been
experimenting with various materials to try and stop the cooling off problem
of an unloaded engine. Some have tried replacing the coil by filling the
chamber with brass nuts. I am told this works but I have not tried it.
The skill is to be able to slow the engine down to a nice speed & be able to
keep it running without the lamp. There are few hit and miss engines can run
as smoothly and quietly as an Austral (except maybe a Blackstone).

Patrick M Livingstone
Leichhardt NSW
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pml/