[SEL] My Austral

Patrick M Livingstone pml1 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 26 00:54:42 PDT 2007

Hi Dave,
	My engine does not have quite as many things moving as on your
engine (no water pump on my engine). It is actually hard to tell when my
engine fires as it is very, very quiet. The cams make more noise than the
exhaust. I usually have it ticking over at around 120rpm. It runs a little
cool at this speed but it can run all day without the lamp. On one very hot
day I had it running at less than 50rpm (occasionally the spokes would
actually stop before it fired). Eventually a slight breeze caused it to cool
of and stop. I don't like running it that slow as there is a lot of flex in
the 5 piece crankshaft & I do not want to break anything.
The bottom-tank portables with the cooling tower have a very distinctive
exhaust note and are great to listen too :) My engine sounds different as it
has a big cast muffler as part of the turntable and the big, cast iron
"cannon'.
Patrick

Patrick M Livingstone
Leichhardt NSW