[SEL] Gear Lube for Power Bandsaw.

Alan Bowen rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 14:13:36 PDT 2007

Howdy Folks,

  I have a heavy duty power bandsaw that I just replaced a bearing on.
  It is part of the right angle drive that powers the blade.

  The thick mud like lube that was in there had a lot of moisture in it because it has been sitting partly open for about four years. That's what the PO said anyway.

  Would 80 wt gear lube be the right lube to put back in there?

  This is an engine topic as I have carts to build and I need this tool running.

  Thankfully all the parts were laying on the saw, even the old bearing.
  All that was missing was one 1/4-20 X 3/8" round head machine screw that was easy to replace.

  I have it all put back together with a new bearing and it is ready to work as soon as I lube up those gears.

  The saw is mounted on a nice stand with wheels on one end.
  The top of the stand has a good sized lip all the way around and a well on one end to collect oil.  The oil drains into a filter then there is a pump and line that pumps the filtered oil back to the blade. It is a nice heavy pump too.

  What say ye?  80wt gear lube OK?
  Something else??

  Alan Bowen
  Williamsburg, Michigan

  BTW,, I tried sending this to me three ways. Two you can see and the BCC you shouldn't be able to see.  Here's betting I don't see any of this again unless someone replies and leaves it.  I won't even get this message through the list.  It is like I have blocked my own emails.