[SEL] remetaling brass bearings LONG

Russell Gilbert russell at ncable.com.au
Tue Jun 12 16:50:30 PDT 2007

Howdy folks; some time back I posed the question of just simply
building up the brass bearings for my graham with white metal (like
building up with solder) instead of making whole new brass bearings.
These are quite large bearings and would be quite expensive to
reproduce in brass/bronze. With very little ware really it seemed
like an option to just fill/coat the bearings with about a 1 to 2mm
thickness if white metal and machine them to the correct thickness
and replace etc. Well this has now been done and I have to say I'm
very pleased with the results.   ......................................
......................... HOWEVER!

There is no such thing as simple!  from the start. On the firing
stroke of the engine one could see a "jump" (if you like) in the
crank and flywheel on the side shaft side of the engine when running.
This made me check the bearings out to find that on the side shaft
side, one could quite easily stick a credit card into the gap found
between the top eage of the bottom bearing and crank shaft.  When I
removed the bearing cap and top bearing from the opposite side all
looked pretty good.  So time to remove the bearings. When cleaned up
I could see where a distinctive ware mark in the troublesome bearing
(bottom half) had been made. So this area was to get a little more
white metal than the rest. The other 3 bearing peices looked pretty
good so off to dads place for the big white metal soldering job to be
done. I left the bearing with dad as I had to work etc. Anyway dad
called to let me know the job went pretty good. He had a little bit
of mucking about to get the white metal to stick to the brass; a
little more heat and soldering flux got it done. The soldering iron
hot and some extra heat to the bearing and all looked like it was
going well. A nice looking coating of white metal had gone on the
bearings apart from one which had a slight crusty apearence to it
which we think is from getting just a little too hot.
this link is to show a pic of what they now looked like :
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2621978930036399874BmBbHr

Well being more than happy at this point I took my bearings around to
a mates place for machining. We fixed the bearings together with hose
clamps and placed into the lathe and used a michrometer to get them
centred best we could. All going well so started to machine
them.  This was pretty easy; however it was a bit of a shock really
to see that there was simply just not enough white metal in there to
machine out.
This link you can see clean white metal and plenty of pitting where
it is shallow:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2530864950036399874qhfQqN

This next link shows the first bearing (side shaft side) after
machining. The top section come up pretty well but the bottom half is
in need of the soldering doctor once again.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2556790590036399874vdJrao

Well to the next side; it was not until know that I had even pick up
the fact that when these two bits were placed together they were not
anywhere near close to being round! There didn't seem to be any cause
for alarm before removing them so I never studdied them before all
this work started. Well I recon this was the main cause for the ware
in the other side.  Two problems! Firstly at some stage the top shell
has had a huge amount of machining done to the sides of the bearing
to help bring it down tighter onto the crank shaft! Why would this be
needed? Well theres the second problem, you can see in the pics that
the bottom of the bottom bearing is worn somewhere in the tune of
3mm. I can tell you now that the coating of white metal dad placed
onto these two shells was going to go know where near close enough to
fill these holes!
This pic shows the gap needing to be filled again; the cliper shows
the difference in wall thickness from the bottom of the crankshaft
bearing to the bottom of the other side!
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2052053360036399874eRzuDB
In that pic you can also see that the top white metal is not to bad
but the bottom was hardly touched during machining

this next pic shows the shims thickness (4mm) need to get the outside
of the bearing round again. You can visually see the difference in
wall thickness from the top to the bottom of the bearing.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2773022770036399874vEZdXM

So back to dads for the second filling. This was now much harder to
do than the first time because of the amount of metal/thickness
needed. We had trouble keeping the white metal that we built up
enough to stay put as we moved alone to put more in. It would be fair
to say that IF! .... at the start I had picked up that the amount of
metal need to fill this bearing  was going to be as needed; I would
have tried my hand at pouring it in after setting it up with a wooden
shaft etc through the middle. Anyway this was not done. We had to go
onto using the oxy to concertrate our heat onto a smaller area
allowing more control to a smaller working area. No soldering iron
but just the stick of white metal melting and poking it into place.

All looked well so back to gregs place for another machining. Very
pleasing result this time around. The bearings do have some minor
pitting hear and there but overall very neat. (the pitting will hold
oil anyway right  :-o ) The engine is now back together and ready for
the Junction Rally in a few weeks time. It runs much smoother now, No
jumping of the shaft and know knocking because of this problem
also.   So there you go; ............. We learn't something here I
recon. Would I do the same thing again? Most deffinately! The result
is great. Advice; check the bearing out properly for ware before
making the decission to build up or poor the white metal.
cheers, Russell

Russell Gilbert
Sunny Sunraysia
russell at ncable.com.au