[SEL] OT PA trip & fuel costs

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 00:45:19 PDT 2007

On 11/06/07, craig morrison <benzengines at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Peter ,
>             Your van must be rated at over 3.5 tons as a van that is rated
> up to this weight does not need a tacho when pulling trailers commercially
> or not . The firm that I subcontract to has vans rated at 4.5 tons that came
> with a tacho as standard , they got them down rated to 3.5 tons and they
> need a tacho when towing anything
> Craig in Scotland

Not quite correct, it is the combined weight that is over 3.5tonnes,
the basic van by itself is 2.9tonnes GVW, 4.9tonnes GCW.

Legislation details:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/requirementsfortrailers

If adding a trailer to the vehicle makes the GCW exceed 3.5tonnes then
a tacho is required, even if the vehicle is less than 3.5 tonnes to
start with. No tacho is needed for private trips as already mentioned.
You only need to use the tacho when running with a trailer (empty or
loaded) no need to use it if the van is less than 3.5tonnes.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com