[SEL] OT PA trip & fuel costs

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 06:53:55 PDT 2007

On 07/06/07, Richard Fink Sr <nancydick at pennswoods.net> wrote:
> Peter i can agree with you 100%. I have a friend that has a truck
> with a Renault engine. It is a Mack truck 32000 gross he hauls logs
> with it. He tells me he can average 15 mpg with it. Can't say that
> about any thing built in the states.
> R Fink
> PA

I had an interesting chat with the van sales guy at Kettering this
morning. The 2.5litre 140hp engine is now 150hp, but it is not in the
sales brochure any more. Renault are asking their sales people to make
sure that the engine is only sold to users who cover regular medium to
high mileages.

Seems that the engine is loaded with particulate filters that have to
be kept clean by running at full temperature, so to avoid problems
with drivers who go round town all day, they are pushing a lower
output engine (2 litre 115bhp)

Also, and this bit hurts high-mileage folks like us, the service
interval has come down from 18000 miles to 9000 miles, a very
retrograde step.

The van we bought 2-1/2 years ago is now £3000 dearer, needs twice the
servicing and has 10bhp extra....

We are now looking for a low-mileage used version of the existing van!

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com