[SEL] OT PA trip & fuel costs

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Thu Jun 7 04:41:42 PDT 2007

>>and then feeding the engines  increased EGR gasses to
deal with the increased NOx emissions caused by the  higher combustion
temps. <<

Large quench areas are also a cause of NOX. So to reduce NOX emissions,
they had to find a way to minimize quench. do that and you have detonation
issues, melted pistons due to reduced or removed boundry layer, etc. To
offset that, the fastburn chamber was designed.
Like I say, racers have known for years you need higher compression and
faster burn for more power AND effeciency.
Cubic inches=power
higher compression ratio=power but more "ping" so you add quench. Add
turbulance to improve and increase burn rates. Flow the heads for power
and effeciency - todays head designs outflow "muscle car" heads that have
been ported and polished.
People cursed the EGR, but it actually is a good thing for your engine as
far as a longer life on engine pushed hard. I know a couple folks who
actually have resurrected their EGR to reduce ping and squeeze a bit more
"life" out of their engines.

Bill
Runnells, Iowa
Chapman/OWE&PCo. Registry and History
http://antique-engines.com
1970 Javelin (originally about 10:1, now about 9.4:1 with step-dish
pistons for more quench and faster burns)
1982 Eagle SX/4
1980 Eagle wagon
http://theamcpages.com