[SEL] The Dying Maytag (Part 1 of 4)

R & M Ingold randmingold at hotkey.net.au
Fri Jun 1 19:54:35 PDT 2007

Dont give up yer day job!!
Reg & Marg Ingold.
Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
randmingold at hotkey.net.au
http://www.oldengine.org/members/randmingold

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Watson" <nadejack at optusnet.com.au>
To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2007 12:30 PM
Subject: [SEL] The Dying Maytag (Part 1 of 4)

These are the first few stanzas of my latest epic poem. If you can stand
the first sample, I could be persuaded to drip-feed the remainder . . .
or to desist entirely, given sufficient inducement (Paypal, Visa or
American Express accepted)

Warning to any sensitive souls or lovers of fine poetry out there. Do
not read on.

=====
"Little Jim" - The Restorer's's Dying Maytag - by JW²
                 (with apologies to Edward Farmer)

The workshop was a thatched one
The outside old and mean
Yet everything within that shed
Was wondrous neat and clean.

The night was dark and stormy
The wind was howling wild
A patient owner knelt beside
The crankcase of his "child".

A little worn out power plant
Whose once bright paint grown dim
He was the restorer's only child,
He called him "Little Jim".

And oh! to see the burning tears fast running down his cheek
As he offered up his prayers in thought he was afraid to speak.
"Just start once more", he sobbed, "I love you better than my wife"
For there was all an owner's love in that poor restorer's life.

With hands uplifted he kneels beside the engine's bed
And prays that the night may spare his 'Tag and take himself instead.
He gets his answer from the echos resounding in the hut
"Kick,zip...Kick,zip...Kick,zip......Puff......puff......puff........phut!"

(to be continued)

====
Submitted more in sorrow than regret.(sob) - JW²