[SEL] Maybe OT; steam pipe

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Thu Jul 19 07:55:21 PDT 2007

Lew:

Years ago, companies set-up central boiler plants to supply steam to buildings in the center city areas.  The steam was used for heat, both air and water.  I know that in Louisville, KY, there was still such a system operating as of a few years ago.

I guess that these systems are still in use because of the prohibitive cost of retrofitting modern systems into old buildings.  It'd be interesting to know if there are any new buildings being built that use central steam plants.

Take care - Elden