[SEL] Propane Torch

P. Johns enginepaul at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 10:15:58 PST 2007

I don't know about the aluminum use - I've never tried it, but I have
soldered some copper before.
MAPP burns hotter than propane and is your best bet. (MAPP gas is made by
combining liquefied petroleum gas with Methylacetylene-Propadiene.)

Acetylene is the best if you are doing a lot of plumbing work; but for most
people, even small contractors, the mapp or propane is more convenient. Get
a flexible hose set-up. They aren't very expensive but are very helpful in
many plumbing situations; much better than the head attached to a cylinder.
The solder make a difference too. The Harris company makes many different
kinds for special work, but you would probably find  what you need at a
plumbing supply store - not sure about Home depot type places. Harris even
has a low temperature silver solder that is require in some underground
installations if you are getting permits.

That's all I can think of for now
Paul
Former contractor in SanFran