[SEL] Thermo-syphon Question

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Fri Jan 19 14:23:05 PST 2007

On the thermosiphon cooling system for Dolly the Listeroid I chose to
manually control the coolant flow with a gate valve that I put in the
BOTTOM line. My reasoning for that was that if I forgot to open the
valve, the water in the head passages would boil, but the steam bubbles
would percolate up the top line to the cooling tank. As long as the
water level in the tank was above the opening of the top line, the
water jacket would stay full of water. I made sure the line always
slopes upward and could not have a kink to trap rising bubbles. This
mode of operation is equivalent to hopper cooling. If a valve (or stuck
thermostat) in the top line isn't opened, expanding steam in the head
will push the water down and out the bottom line, leaving the water
jacket full of steam. The engine will then overheat badly. I made a
fitting with a closed off piece of copper tubing soldered into a hole
drilled in a pipe plug to insert a cooking thermometer where the top
line comes out of the head so I could monitor the temperature. I like
to keep it at 200°F or so. It responds very slowly to changes in load.
I don't feel a need for an automated system.

John

On Jan 19, 2007, at 3:48 PM, MaytagTwin at aol.com wrote:

> Hi Curt,
> If you don't want to have to monitor the temperature by hand, you might
> place an automobile thermostat in the top line.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA