[SEL] Thermo-syphon Question

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Thu Jan 18 18:12:24 PST 2007

Hi Paul,
Based on lab experiments with thermo-siphoning, I don't think you need to
worry about being too high.  Do keep in mind that your return line to the
engine should be a couple inches above the bottom of your tank if you want the
tank to catch sediment and the line leading from the engine to the top of the
tank must always remain under the surface of the water in the tank.  So  long as
you don't have any air pockets in the system, it will thermo-siphon to a
tank as in your picture or would thermo-siphon to a tank many feet higher.

You see, the return water is slightly cooler and more dense which means it
can push the warmer water up.  Since if you have the tank higher, both the
lines are longer and the difference in balance is determined by the temperature
differential.  The water can move easily with only a small difference in
density.  The top line must be below the water surface for the system to  balance
and the volume of water in the cooling tank that is above the top pipe  is how
much can evaporate before you need refill the cooling tank.

In the lab experiments we used glass containers and clear tubing to carry
the water.  We would get it started and running and then add a drop or  two of
dye to the water so we could see it move through the tubes.  What  really
surprised us was how fast the water would move through the tubes  with only a small
temperature difference.  Thermo-siphoning can work very  well in moving heat
from the engine.

Ron

In a message dated 1/18/2007 7:46:16 P.M. Central Standard Time,