[SEL] Thermo-syphon Question

Paul Maples paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 18 17:26:25 PST 2007

I am working on getting a coolant tank built for my 5 HP Stover and I will be using one of the early Stover Cast Iron Stands: See the picture below:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/StoverTankStand1.jpg

By using this stand my tank will be up higher than it normally would be if it was mounted at the same level as the engine. My question is how high can you reasonably expect the thermo-syphon effect to push the water up to the top of the tank? I need to know this so I can properly locate my inlet fitting for the intake of water at the top.

Thanks,

Paul