[SEL] Need Sandblast Helmet Visor Substitute

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Wed Feb 28 10:25:34 PST 2007

At 07:00 PM 28/02/2007, you wrote:
>Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:49:43 -0600
>From: "Paul Maples" <paulmaples at sbcglobal.net>
>Subject: [SEL] Need Sandblast Helmet Visor Substitute
>
>My throw away visor on my sandblast helmet is made of 10 mil (.010) clear
>plastic that is 7-1/4" wide by 14-1/4" long. Today I had to stop blasting
>as the existing visor got so blurry I could not see. I went to every store
>in Searcy trying to find a piece of plastic that would work for a
>substitute until I can order some and could not find anything.
>Does anyone know of a common local product that would work for a
>replaceable visor on a Sandblast Helmet?
>Paul

Hi Paul,
         This question cropped up previously. My previous business was a
plastic supply house and we supplied a lot of material for sandblasting
cabinets as well as goggles.

         Quite a few people have mentioned "Plexiglas". Plexiglas is a
trade name for acrylic sheet (polymethylmethacrylate or PMMA)  (I cannot
remember who's but it may be Rohm & Haas) and is the same material as
"Perspex" (which is I.C.I's trade name).  Although this does work, it is
not the ideal material as it is very hard and scratches very easily.

         We always supplied Polycarbonate (PC) (Peter Forbes mentioned
Makrolon which is a trade name for polycarbonate as is Lexan). PC is much
stronger than acrylic but also a bit softer and is better at resisting
scratches from stuff like sandblast grit. It will also get to the stage
that it needs replacement but will last longer than acrylic. This was
available as a .5mm (half a millimetre) sheet that you could cut with a
good strong pair of scissors or snips and we supplied this for goggles.
         Another material we used to supply for the goggles was rigid P.V.C
(Polyvinylchloride). The rigid variety used to be called uPVC - the small
"u" meaning it was unplasticised. I'm not sure if clear rigid uPVC is still
available but is was available in thinner sheets which could be cut with
normal scissors. It was used extensively for vacuum forming (like the clear
plastic blister stapled to a piece of card that holds a product on display
in a shop). It was not as good as polycarbonate but much cheaper and easier
to cut.

         Someone mentioned a motorcycle shop - the motocross riders use a
pair of goggles with tearaway strips over the lens - when they splash
through mud they rip the next layer off -mud and all. I do not know if they
would work for sandblasting but it sounds like a good idea.

         After we sold the business in 1986 my partner moved to Fort Smith
in Arkansas and opened the same type of business there under the same name
(Mr. Plastic). I do not know where you are in relation to him but he would
be able to help. His name is Eugene Snyman tel. toll free
877-MrPlastic. I got out of plastics at that time but he is still involved
and would be able to advise. If anyone does talk to him - Say Hi from Jerry
in S.A.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787
Intntl.: +2716 365-5787
Cell: 083 293 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans