[SEL] Brass spec plates and earning a living.

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue Feb 27 12:23:01 PST 2007

At 07:00 PM 27/02/2007, you wrote:
>Message: 3
>Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:01:38 +1100
>From: Russell Gilbert <russell at ncable.com.au>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] Brass spec plates and earning a living.
>
>G'day Jerry, mate lucky your not standing on a step lader up on the
>pallet lifter over here in Oz, the OH & S boys would have a field day
>on you.  You would need to be in a cage all strap in to some kind of
>harness etc.
>None the less nice job.  If your feeling peckish check out our
>website, recently updated : www.thegourmetchef.com.au
>regards Russell

Hi Russell,
         I know - we do have safety rules here as well and if the
inspectors found something like this they would throw the book at him
(unless they got a big bribe which is becoming more and more of a problem
here).
         The guy on the ladder is a private contractor and you will notice
he is alone up there - he did not ask his staff to go up there with him.
Also this was done on a farm - far away from prying eyes.
He would never get away with it if doing the same thing regularly in an
urban area :-)
         Fortunately for him (and most other sign riggers) it is a case of
work here today and somewhere else tomorrow. He has been doing this job for
over 30 years and uses a mountaineers harness or a "bosun's chair" on high
rise buildings with safety harnesses and the like. This job was a "low
risk" one as far as he was concerned - only 9 metres from the ground ! He
has only fallen once from about 12 metres when a ladder collapsed -  a few
cracked a few ribs and a bit of damage to his pelvis when he hit the bottom
of the ladder. He was back on the job within 10 days, crutches and all.
These guys are a breed of their own.

         Your catering site looks good.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787
Intntl.: +2716 365-5787
Cell: 083 293 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans