[SEL] My Ignorance - Forged Welded Wheels

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Thu Feb 15 06:53:26 PST 2007

A third option for the metal but less likely might be wrought Iron for the
bands. Look at the metal closely and see if you can see what looks like
layering of the metal. A sure sign of wrought.  You see wheels made like
this more often then you might think.  Most folks just don't notice the
lapped forged seam. Or if they do notice don't give it a second thought
after deciding they are not cracks.              TTYL,  Mark

At 09:14 PM 2/14/07, you wrote:

>Hi Paul,
>In looking at your wheels, I suspect they are iron or steel, not cast  iron.
>I don't think you can forge weld cast iron and also, when I look at  the ends
>of the spokes as they poke through the rim, it appears they have been
>hammered over like rivets to hold the spokes to the rim.  Cast iron
>doesn't  respond
>well to being hammered.  It will shatter rather than spread.
>
>All this is speculation on my part as I am no expert.
>
>Regards,
>Ron Carroll
>Clearmont, Missouri
>

>In a message dated 2/14/2007 8:02:42 P.M. Central Standard Time,
>paulmaples at sbcglobal.net writes:
>
>Well  gang the longer you stay in this hobby the more you learn...right?
>
>I  got a real good deal on a set of cast iron wheels, flat spoked, and they
>arrived today. I plan on using these on a cart I will build later for my 5
>HP
>Lister.
>
>http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/wheels002.jpg
>
>When  the wheels arrived today I open the first box of four and was looking
>at the  wheel and I saw a crack. I thought "Darn" the guy sold me a wheel
>with
>a  cracked rim, oh well I will get it  welded.
>
>http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/WheelWeld.jpg
>
>I  then opened up the other three wheels and "Quadruple Darn", all of the
>wheels  had cracked rims. I begin to look more closely at the cracks to
>see how
>bad  they were and I noticed that the crack on the face of the rim did not
>line
>up  with the crack on the inter-face of the rim. I then saw that the metal
>had  been scarfed (Over-lapped) and it was then a light turned on in this
>hole
>riddled brain of mine....these wheels have been forged welded (Hammer  Welded)
>
>Anyone got any idea how old these flat spoked wheels are that  had the rims
>forged welded together?
>
>Just  curious.
>
>Paul

Mark & Christine Shulaw
454 Co. Rd. 33
Bluffton, OH. 45817  USA            Email: Frappi at wcoil.com

Your one stop on line source for Maytag Multi-Motor parts.
Parts lists available on request.

Weekdays & Saturday 10 AM to 10 PM Eastern Time 419.358.5206
Saturday 9 AM to 10 PM at cell #419.516.2996 If you have Verizon Cell Phone
you may call the cell number during the weekday hours. No Sunday calls if
possible.
I am not an employee or licensed dealer for Maytag Corp. Nor do I represent
them in any way shape or form. I am only a Collector, Preservationist and
hobby dealer of Maytag manufactured items of old.   Mark