[SEL] My Ignorance - Forged Welded Wheels

Peter Lowe plowe at exemail.com.au
Wed Feb 14 19:44:30 PST 2007

Kaye's grand father used to be a blacksmith in this area, he forge welded
most stuff, I have examples of it that have survived. I also have the post
drill, swage block and forge tools from the original balcksmith's shop. The
anvil was stolen during WW2 while the men were away fighting. I guess the
shop dates back to the late 1800's - 1940's.
I was told a story by Kaye's father of how his father forge welded a prop
shaft from a tug boat in the Clarence River, where we  live. The shaft was
6" in diameter and they aligned the shaft, setup the fire heating both ends
and the finished job was a perfectly welded and aligned shaft.

Peter, Oz