[SEL] Calculating Volume of Water in a Tank

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Mon Feb 5 21:21:57 PST 2007

Paul,
    I went back and checked to make sure the figure I got (close to 50
gallons) was correct.  Looks like it is. The tank could potentially hold
more than this.  But, you're not going to be able to run it at 100%
capacity (10% of it would slosh out with the engine running) so I used
90%.  I did a calculation a couple of nights ago and came up with
something like 15 gallons but looking at the calculator, I think I know
what I did wrong.  There are two ways to figure volume in a cylindrical
tank.  One uses the diameter and the other uses the radius.  I think I
typed in the radius (10 inches) when I should have typed in the
diameter.  Using the radius gives a volume of 14 gallons.  Using the
diameter gives a volume of 54 (both of these at 100%).  Didn't realize
that a few inches could make such a difference.....

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY