[SEL] Mystery object

Peter Lowe plowe at exemail.com.au
Tue Dec 25 02:33:31 PST 2007

Hi Roland & Orrin
There is a handle on one side that is missing, but there are two threaded
holes.
Orrin, the centre section is not really dished enough to hold heating fluid,
can anyone explain its operation, what is the tube coming out at right
angles from the top section.?
On the right hand photo, bottom left corner, that section has holes all
around the outside and a small hole or jet in the middle.
Yes, there would be a nice knurled brass filler cap in place of that wooden
plug.

Peter, Oz
Here is the link
http://www.oldengine.org/members/plowe/mysterything.htm

Roland Replied .................................

> Peter
> I think its the remains of a Tilley heater.
> Roland

>If I'm reading the reflections, properly, the top of the tank is slightly
>dished.  By placing a bit of gasoline in the dished part, then lighting it,
>the contents will become pressurized.  If my surmise is correct, it does
>not
>need a pressure pump.  I would think, however, the filler cap is missing.
>It appears as though it
>has been lost and a jury-rigged stopper has been inserted.  In order for it
>to work properly, a proper cap should be provided.
<I have a backpacking stove that works in the manner described.