[SEL] Life happens!!/ cable ends

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Fri Dec 21 12:35:49 PST 2007

At 07:00 PM 21/12/2007, you wrote:
>From: jlb94 at juno.com
>Subject: Re: [SEL] Life happens!!
>To: sel at lists.stationary-engine.com
>Hello Joe,
>         Building a ball using silver solder (not the stuff that looks
>like lead
>solder) will work if the cable is stainless.
>=        =        =        =        =        =
>Thanks Rupert,
>I don't have any Silver Solder but I can probably get some.
>I'll need to do more experimenting.
>I can't do much machining but, I just might try to get a couple
>cable clamps that "squeeze" on the cable and make that work.

Hi Guys,
         Been away from the computer a bit lately so I've missed most of
this thread but here's my "tuppence ha'penny" worth.
         My first means of transport was a 4th hand Lambretta scooter -
most of the cables (in fact most of the scooter)  were "stuffed". In those
days I had no money (nothings changed), no tools and not much else. The
only thing I did have was an overwhelming desire to visit my girlfriend (50
miles away) every weekend !!
         In a pinch the brass pin from an old electric "plug" (the bit with
a screw in that grips the electric wire) makes a good (if temporary) cable
end stop. It does not last very long if you are rough with the cable
control but is also great for getting the final adjustment made. If I had
the ability and tools in those days I would have put one on, adjusted it
and then soldered it to the cable. As it turned out I could only cut it to
size with a hacksaw and file it to a shape that fitted (did you know that
you can use a hacksaw to file with? It's possible if you have enough of the
above mentioned "overwhelming desire" :-)

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm