[SEL] Was: Latest engine Now: Wierd Mechanics

Patrick M Livingstone pml1 at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 14 15:37:26 PST 2007

Hi Arnie,
	There are some weird designs out there. I have a number of odd
engines but my Bartram is one that is interesting.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Graphics/bartrtamt1.JPG
It governs by NOT opening the intake valve when missing by pulling part of
the tappet out from under the valve. It is a vertical engine with a drip
oiler for the cylinder, oil reservoirs for the mains and splash lubrication
for the big end. The magneto is a flick Dixie and it is operated off the
same eccentric than drives the water pump. The flywheels are very heavy and
are held onto to the tapered crankshaft by big locknuts on the end of the
crank. With the heavy flywheels it runs like a clock and very slow.

Patrick M Livingstone
Leichhardt NSW
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html