[SEL] Website Housekeeping

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 12:21:05 PST 2007

Those of us who have websites hosted by Oldengine and other sites
might like to take a look at some of the 'rubbish' that needs to be
cleaned out occasionally, both to free up space on the server and as a
general housekeeping job.

The worst offenders are Paint Shop Pro and other graphics editing
programmes. When you look at a folder of pictures on your PC, the
programme (program) will create a file of thumbnails and save that to
your hard drive.

This file is called "pspbrwse.jbf" for Paint Shop Pro, and every
folder you go into to look at pictures you will find one of these
files in there. A large folder can have a very large instance of this
file, we have found 4mb and above in folders such as our Portland trip
folders.

These get carried over to the websites (mostly accidentally) and you
end up with a very big amount of server space that could really be
used for better things.

Next time you transfer files to your website, have a look for these
sort of files and delete them, as they cannot be used on the server in
any way.

Don't delete them on your PC as the files are there to save time
getting the thumbnails up on screen when you look in the folder next
time. You can also set PSP up not to save the browser file.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com