[SEL] Fairbanks early serial numbers

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Tue Dec 4 08:40:54 PST 2007

Tommy:

I swapped a 1-1/2 hp dishpan engine for it in about 1957.  I got it from the guy who simply moved it from where he purchased it from the original owner to my garage so I suppose I am the second owner.

It was originally purchased by a Crestwood, KY farmer for his son to set-up to pump water from the well to the attic cistern in the farmhouse.  The engine was used for several years until (I guess) electricity came to the neighborhood, then it was retired to the barn/shop loft.

I knew the owner and should have -very politely- asked if he still had the ignition dynamo and hot tube outfit for it.  If he still had them in the '50's, they're long gone by now.  I got the original jug and piston back from his son before I re-restored it.

I have no idea who it was originally purchased from.  Possibly either a Louisville outfit or via mail and rail freight.

I only wish I'd just left it alone.  It was in it's original work clothes with most of it's paint before I "restored" it in the mid '60's.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand