[SEL] Getting A Handle On It

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Mon Aug 27 15:53:49 PDT 2007

I'd been told over on the Cast Boolits board that it was a
"blacksmith's hammer of the German pattern," then that it was a "cross
pein hammer." I was still trying to figure out what cross pein, as
opposed to, say, ball pein, meant.

I misspent my youth pursuing other things instead of urging my dad to
go on and get a forge built as he long intended to and teaching me some
rudimentary smithing, while I was instead out, um, poking other irons
in the fire.

Maybe Jennifer'll show me how it's supposed to be done one day. :-)

John

On Aug 27, 2007, at 6:46 PM, Arnie Fero wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I think that would be called a cross-peen hammer or an upper fuller.
> http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/jdfuller/top_index.htm
> Nice find!!
>
> See ya,  Arnie

John Culp