[SEL] A Welding Question - Apprentices

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue Aug 21 11:12:52 PDT 2007

At 06:00 PM 21/08/2007, you wrote:
>Message: 3
>Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:36:52 -0500
>From: "Chuck Balyeat" <kerogas at sbcglobal.net>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] A Welding Question - Apprentices
>
>    In other words, if you were to take a photo of a curved data plate, one
>that's bent around a cylinder, for instance, it would appear to be taller in
>the center than on the ends because the plate is closer at the center than
>at the ends. I was wondering if there is software that will correct for that
>distortion.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>A piece of paper and a #2 pencil ?
>Make a rubbing and then flatten it out .

Good one Chuck,
         Of course the best idea is to remove the plate and scan it in a
flat bed scanner but not everyone is happy removing a plate.
         The paper rubbing would work well to get the dimensions and
general layout but the chances of me being able to actually copy from it to
do artwork would not be good if there is fine detail involved.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
See:
www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm