[SEL] Engine bearings

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 20 06:50:45 PDT 2007

I used the brass screw trick when I poured the bearings on my steam engine.
I put the screws in from the bottom and simply turned them out a couple of
turns when the job was done.  This method worked very well for positioning
the crank shaft for pouring.  Be sure to use protective gear on this job.
At minimum safety glasses and I recommend a face shield.  Along with the eye
protection: Long sleeve cotton shirt, Long cotton pants, leather gloves, and
leather boots.  You are better off with no clothes than synthetic.  If a
burn were to happen with nylon it could melt the fabric onto your skin.  I
have had a bearing blow up on me and these safety items can make a big
difference.