[SEL] Was: A Welding Question Now: Elliptical Rings

john palmer ottoslidevalve at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 20 04:57:13 PDT 2007

Rob,I don't profess to be a ring expert but here is a lay mans explanation!
When you split or cut a ring it springs out and there is more pressure by
the joint than opposite. What you need is pressure all around to seal.  The
old way was to machine the center excentric to the out side so that opposite
the gap would be say twice as thick,thereby giving more pressure. Another
way was to preen or hammer the inside of the ring. The Campbell Gas Engine
Co here in England was famous for their 'piston ring hammering machine'.
They sold them to other engine makers. A friend of mine has good results by
heating the newly machined rings on a mandrel. Perhaps Dave could fill in
the gaps here?   John