[SEL] Engine bearings

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Aug 17 04:34:22 PDT 2007

William,
There are many babbitt formulas including the lead based varieties you
mention. The formula I mentioned was for the more common (today)
Stannous based alloy. I don't have my book with me at the moment, but I
think the ratio is something like 8 parts Sn, 4 parts Cu, and 1 part Sb.
This country has gone thru an almost insane period of fear of Pb,
similar to the asbestos fears. Lead is a very useful material used
properly. But I imagine if you go looking for Babbitt about all you are
going to find are the Tin based versions. As to a how to, I took these
pictures a few years ago when I was pouring the mains in the walking
beam Alamo. Here is the page:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/AlamoBabbittPouring/Thumbnails.html>
Maybe these will be useful somehow.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC
P.S. Yes I know Curt Andree. He is host to one of the nicest engine
shows and by far THE nicest show grounds and building complex I've seen.
You need to make the Baraboo show a priority. There are a couple of
Aussies who will back this opinion I imagine.