[SEL] Engine bearings

William Young wmlyoung at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 15:07:03 PDT 2007

Rob-san,  You make it sound so easy.  Just tell me how.  I know some of the "DON'Ts" but not enough of the "DOs."  I have melt crucible and pouring ladle, just don't know how to go about the actual pour. I also have an electronic "gun" which will give read-out of molten alloy temperature.   P.S.  Your Nihong-go is very good, but this was the first time I heard it with a Mexican accent.

  Curt-san, I think I must differentiate with you for I believe the three primary metals in various Babbitt alloys are lead, tin and antimony, not copper as you indicate.  Having once read extensively about Babbitt alloys, I learned that there are many, many "recipes" each tailored to a particular application, primary factors being speed, weight & pressure,  operating temperatures, type and frequency of lubricant application.  Copper is a major component of bearings used in work horse engines.  I have concluded that just about any combination of Pb, Sn & Sb would be suitable for our low speed, no load running conditions.
  Further, I avoid grease as a lubricant where ever possible, believing that a good oil is much superior.
      ( Didn't the electrolytic production of aluminum follow, by many decades, the development of Babbitt? )

  Once, many years ago, I attended  training courses at both Briggs and Tecumseh mfg. plants and was surprised to learn how they receive their aluminum -- molten, in trucks.
    So, it looks like Curt in NC must know Curt in IL,  who has often invited me to attend his favorite engine meet,  where was it?? Bugaboo somewhere?
    Keep the ideas ( and techniques )  coming.  Thanks to all -- except Rob, to whom I say, "arigato ga toh gracias." Bill