[SEL] Long Paddock return

Patrick M Livingstone pml1 at bigpond.net.au
Sun Aug 12 20:08:40 PDT 2007

Great photos Ron. There is some interesting machinery up north. Many thanks
for getting the details on the Austral as it is one that was not on the
register :-)

Patrick

Patrick M Livingstone

Leichhardt NSW

http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pml/

  _____

Hi all

Back in March I indicated that the wife and I were going to travel the long
paddock to the Top End (Darwin).  Along the way I managed to take a few
photos which I thought would be of interest to the list members.  They are
at

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/560188895qMdcFH

The route took us up through central NSW via Narrabri, then Queensland via
Roma, Emerald, Longreach, Mt Isa, then through Northern Territory to Darwin.
We then did a little side trip to Broome and back (about 4000 kilometers
return) then finished coming home straight down the centre taking in Alice
Springs, Ularu, Coober Pedy, Wilpena Pound, Mildura, Hay and home.  If you
are interested have a look at a map.

Just a few useless facts.  We did 18735 kilometres (approx11700 miles), used
1756 litres of petrol (gas) and actual driving time was 245 hours.  Our all
up average speed was 76.3 kilometres per hour and our fuel consumption was
9.3 litres per 100 kilometres.

Most of the photos contain explanations so I won't go into detail here.

However, the first place of note was Ilfracombe, Qld.  Here the town has set
up a narrow strip of land along the highway to display machinery of all
descriptions.  It is about a mile in length.

The other place of note is the 1934 Qantas hanger in the Darwin suburb of
Parap. Firstly the hanger is in the suburb because this was where the old
domestic airport used to be - it is now combined with the original military
airfield.  The hanger has been given over to the care of the vintage car
movement and they have let a chap named Leo Izod space to display his farm
machinery.  He told e he is about the only collector of this machinery in
the NT.  True or not I have no idea.  But his display is well worth a visit
and takes up probably more than half the space.  They have two working ares
and it is open every day and all they ask is a gold coin donation to visit.

For those on the other side of the pond I have also added a few photos of
our infamous road trains, a couple for the "lister" who was doing the photos
of letterboxes and garden ornaments, a number (license) plate which not only
fits with my other interest but also relates to farm machinery and one
showing why we call it the Long Paddock.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Ron

Canberra