[SEL] ICD Device Question

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Aug 8 20:48:54 PDT 2007

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/guide/tests/procedures/icd.htm

    *  Electrical interference: most electrical devices, such as
microwave ovens, do not interfere with ICD function. You need to avoid
strong electric or magnetic fields such as:

           o Some industrial equipment, high output ham radios, high
intensity radiowaves (found near large electrical generators, power
plants or radiofrequency transmission towers), and arc or resistance welders

     Stay at arm’s length away from less powerful electric or magnetic
fields such as:

           o Large magnets, stereo speakers, airport security wands,
antennas used in ham or CB radios.

           o Cellular phones should kept at least 6 inches from your ICD
and not on the same side as your ICD.

     Do not undergo any tests that require magnetic resonance imaging
(MRI). You may have CT ("CAT") scans done if necessary

http://www.hrspatients.org/patients/treatments/cardiac_defibrillators/common_questions.asp

Can I use a microwave oven or other appliances if I have an ICD?
Yes, normal household appliances and wood working tools will not cause
interference. You should avoid strong magnetic fields and large magnets,
antennas, arc welders, and industrial equipment. If you work near
industrial equipment, discuss your specific situation with your
physician or nurse.

Can I use a cellular phone?
Yes, with these general guidelines:

     * Hold the phone to the ear on the side of the body opposite of the
implanted device.
     * Do not carry the phone in the ON position in a breast pocket over
or within 6 inches of the ICD.
     * Maintain a minimum of 6 inches between the ICD and the phone.

Are security systems and airports a problem?
Walk normally through theft detector systems. Carry your ID card with
you at all times. Show the airport security people the card, and ask to
be hand searched.

Can an ICD patient drive a car?
Many physicians recommend no driving for 6 months after implantation of
an ICD, or after a shock. Discuss this issue with your physician to
maintain your safety as well as that of others.

JIM KIRKES wrote:
> I may have to have an ICD installed, this is an Implantable
> Cardioverter-Defribulator which is a little like a pacemaker. These are
> installed about the same and are in a similar package except that the
> function is different.  What little I have been able to find out says you
> should not be near a magnetic field or a running engine.  That is pretty
> vague, does anybody have one of these that can help me out with better
> information?
>
> Jim
>
> Jim and Diane Kirkes
> Hemet, CA