[SEL] Starting Stover - Need Help

Paul Maples paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 30 13:12:48 PDT 2007

Sorry Curt for leaving that out. It was the speed control spring adjustment,
the one the arrow is pointing to in this picture:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/Stover1A.jpg

When I put this part of the engine back together I did not pay special
attention to this adjustment and had the brass knurl nut screwed out to far
which was putting too much pressure on the governor yoke and not letting the
detent latch up. I went back and looked at my "Before" pictures and saw how
the spring and nut was adjusted and set it according to the picture and
started the engine and it ran perfect. I want to add that I did this after I
got all of the input from the guys on the SEL as well as I got a message
from a good Stover friend of mine, John Ames, and he told me his Stover done
the same thing when he first started it and it was this spring.

Also Curt you asked what those screws were for on the main bearings. Once
you get the main bearings tightened down these are lock screws to keep the
main bearing bolts from working loose.

Paul