[SEL] Shearing plant questions/answers please

Peter Lowe plowe at exemail.com.au
Wed Apr 25 15:34:03 PDT 2007

Thanks Bill, you input is noted and appreciated mate.

Regards
Peter Lowe
R&V Engine Registrar
Australia
Ph: 61-266453455
http://www.oldengine.org/members/plowe/rv-engines/rvpage.htm
http://www.oldengine.org/members/plowe/rv-engines/rv-register.htm

Peter, I was hoping to see something more definitive come out of the list
for you, but in the absence of that I'll take a stab at it.

For speed I'd guess about 500-1000 rpm; that may be off, so be careful.  I
expect the speed has a range that's OK, I know my Dad talked of running his
earlier setup off a hit-miss John Deere and he installed a brake drum to use
as a pulley to get the speed up.  Of course, I have no reference as to what
the other pulley was...  By the time I was hanging around and even doing a
little shearing it had long been converted to electric.  My mind's eye
pictures a motor, probably running at 1800, and about a quarter to a half
speed reduction with the V belt pulleys.

The down shaft was attached to about a 16-inch shaft to which we attached
the handpiece.  I'd say if you placed the handpiece on the ground, the
16-inch shaft was at about 45 degrees.

The grinding disks seemed to run pretty aggressively, maybe 1800 rpm.  The
surface Dad liked the best was one where he cleaned off the disks, applied
adhesive, and sprinkled the fine and coarse grit upon them.  He also bought
grit disks that he pasted to the aluminum disks but he felt he got a better
job with the ones he prepared himself.

Hope I'm not giving you a bum steer here.  This is from memory approaching
50 years ago for me.

There were competing schools of how best to shear a sheep.  The one that the
pro's in my area subscribed to was referred to as the Australian method.  In
fact, that's the only sequence I can remember watching and certainly the
only one I ever attempted.  I never sheared enough to get very good at it.
Most of my time was catching and bagging.

B²

Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.