[SEL] ATIS Charity Auction Thank You

Rick Rowlands rowlands1941 at adelphia.net
Tue Apr 10 05:25:57 PDT 2007

I just wanted to thank the SEL and ATIS for the contribution to the Tod Engine Foundation from the Charity Auction.  I haven't been posting on the SEL for a while but we are still making progress on the restoration of the Tod Engine.

First of all, for those not familiar, the Tod Engine is a 250 ton stationary steam engine that members of the SEL saved from scrap in 1996-97. It was removed from a steel plant in Youngstown and is now safe and sound on our own site where it is being reassembled.

The big project for this year is the enginehouse building.  My architect is working on plans for a 40' x 80' pole building which will house the engine (just barely) and protect it while its being restored. I already have most of the building materials on hand, I'm just waiting for the plans and permits so I can start construction.

In keeping with the general theme of our museum I decided that we would attempt to produce our own electricity instead of connecting to the grid. To this end I purchased a Listeroid 6/1and a 10KW single phase alternator. As soon as the weather gets warm I will pour a concrete foundation for the genset inside a 10' x 12' shed which will become our powerhouse.  Yes I know a 6/1 will not generate 10KW but by using the larger alternator it will be easier to start heavier motor loads and will allow me to upgrade to a larger engine in the future without buying a new alternator.

Three phase power will be supplied by an ex military 10KW genset which produces 208VAC. Three phase will only be needed for a 35 foot span, 5 ton gantry crane which we purchased at an auction a couple of months ago.

Our museum has shifted its focus toward the iron and steel industry and away from stationary steam power which was our focus earlier.  We have been the lucky recipient of a donation of a hot metal car from Pittsburgh and two diesel locomotives from Ellwood Engineered Castings in Hubbard. This equipment will be moved to the museum site sometime this year.

As usual there is never enough money to go around so progress is slow going.  However contributions such as the ATIS Auction proceeds certainly provide a needed shot in the arm, especially in the spring when work at the museum site is ramping up.

Thanks again for everyone's help and if you find yourself passing through NE Ohio on I-80 goint to Portland or Coolspring please stop by and see the mighty Tod.  We are just 5 minutes off of I-80 from the Hubbard Exit.

Rick Rowlands
Tod Engine Foundation
"Preserving Youngstown's Steel Industry Heritage"
2261 Hubbard Road
Youngstown, OH 44505
330-272-4089
www.todengine.org