[SEL] Residual Oil?

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 00:06:48 PDT 2007

On 08/04/07, rdhaskell at juno.com <rdhaskell at juno.com> wrote:

> There were three sizes of flywheel available depending on the cyclic
> variation. I am not quite sure what that means but, a for a variation of
> -
> 1/20th the flywheel was 3feet 3 inches x 4 inches;
> 1/40th it was 3ft 9in x 4½in;
> 1/80th it was 4ft 6in x 5in.
> I don't know if that helps!

The 'Cyclic Variation' of an engine is the amount of speed change per
revolution caused by the firing stroke compared with the steady state
speed.

Thus the larger flywheel gives less variation than the smaller ones.

Generating sets sold by most UK companies including Lister gave Cyclic
Variation figures for most of their engines, companies such as Ruston
& Hornsby made engines with what were called  'Electric Flywheels" for
electricity generation sets.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes