[SEL] Wolseley R info & parts needed.

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Sep 25 11:41:55 PDT 2006

Hi Guys (especially the Aussies !)
         My 1928 Wolseley R Type is running well and I'm now on the "short
strokes". Just need a bit of help and info.
         1) Can anyone give me the measurements for the silencer (muffler)
on a 6 H.P. model?  The smaller version is 127mm diameter and I do not know
if the 6 H.P. is the same or a larger diameter. I want to fabricate one
(maybe just a false one as the engine runs very quietly just through a
piece of 50mm pipe at the moment). If you have one or know of someone who
has one I could mail a drawing showing which sizes I need. Thanks in advance.
         2) I'm missing the "U" tube on the carburettor. The engine runs
fine without it as this is just to bring in warm air from the exhaust side
for the paraffin (Kerosene) and I have actually "disabled" the other parts
of the carb that have to do with paraffin - it will in future only run on
petrol (gas to the guys in the States). Purely for the sake of originality
I'd like to get one - even if I end up hanging it on a chain from the carb
(it would run too hot for petrol). Alternatively I'd block it off on the
exhaust side and drill air intake holes in the back of it where they would
be unseen. If anyone has a spare lying around in a box please let me have a
price. Remember it is for the 6 H.P. model - I do not know if the smaller
engines used the same size - a few measurements from me should be able to
clear it up pretty quickly.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans

---