[SEL] drill sizes for 7BA clear and 7BA tap

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Sun Sep 24 09:34:01 PDT 2006

Not really. B.A. is British Association. A standard for small threads,
below about 1/4". Dates back to the 1800s, but the dimensions are
actually metric-based. The thread profile is much narrower than
Whitworth. Details are online on a bunch of sites, some of which have
already been cited.

Interestingly enough, the small screws on Mauser rifles are B.A., and
the big threads on the barrel are Whitworth. The original machine tools
Mauser Werke used came from England, and all subsequent Mauser
licensees have stuck with the English thread standards.

If anyone needs any B.A. #1 x 1" cheesehead screws or hex nuts, let me
know. I had to order a pretty good bunch from
http://britishfasteners.com/ to meet their minimum order when I tore up
the funny looking round, slotted nut on the barrel band of my
Czech-built M98/29 Persian Mauser.

John

On Sep 24, 2006, at 8:12 AM, John Hall wrote:

> Try this site anytime you run into oddball threads---I use them at
> work quite often.
> www.marylandmetrics.com
>
> Am I correct that BA threads are the same as Whitworth?
>
> John Hall

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA