[SEL] solid state ignition

Ed stoller edstoller at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 20 05:30:51 PDT 2006

I have been playing with ignition systems for a long time, even built a
Capacitance Discharge Ignition for my Kohler 321. When all is said and done
and one needs to replace an ignition system on a small air cooled engine,
the least expensive way is to convert it to an automotive transistor type.
The Wells CR 109 controller costs $16 to $20 at most auto parts stores. One
needs a conventional coil with a built in resistor ( Tecumseh,  Kohler or
aftermarket) or a ballast resistor and a trigger coil. I make the trigger
coils, but the instructions for making them are on my web site
http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/  .

A recent project was to make an ignition system for Ron Frosts model of a
1895 Mery engine. Here we wanted to keep the trigger coil as small as
possible. We wound up with a salvaged coil on a 10-24 screw with the magnet
on the head. It is about the size of a pencil eraser. Ron is still working
on this and has not got to the point of stack music yet. I hope he could
bring it to the Coolspring show. The Mery has two combustion chambers, so we
are using a coil from a 1996 Bonneville to fire both plugs at the same time.
Ron's engine has the trigger mounted on a lever to control the spark
advance.

If I ever get my STOVER CT_2 together, I will probably use some thing like
to above until I get a Wyco EK.

Ed Stoller
New Fairfield, CT
http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/