[SEL] Miracle of the SEL List!

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Tue Sep 19 18:59:54 PDT 2006

Hi Rick,
         I will remember, to my dying day when we first met in Youngstown
and saw the Tod. My reaction was, I'm sure, the same as the 16 year old
girl on her wedding night in the year that the Tod was built--DAMN THAT
THING SURE IS HUGE! The Tod was a good 200 yards away when we first saw it,
and we all stopped dead in our tracks and just looked at her! What a sight!
And what a crew we made! Can anyone else remember the day that it was -10 F
in the building and we (dumb asses that we were) still tried to remove nuts
and bolts? It was 5 minutes of work and 20 minutes in front of the kero
torpedo space heater! One inch frost on the flywheel, and when you scraped
that off it would reappear in about 15 minutes and you could not tell where
it had been removed!
         I also remember you, Rick, hanging on the end of a 4' chain wrench
(about 9' in the air) with an 11' cheater pipe attached to it--and the damn
chain broke! That was in an attempt to remove the last 5" nut holding the
flywheel together. It was only "the luck of the Irish" that caused you to
miss stratteling that 4'X8' piece of upright 1/4" steel guard at the end of
the flywheel! (Have you ever told your bride how close you came to becoming
a soprano  that day?)
         Then there was the day we attempted to remove the last 11" nut
from the con rod cap. Used the 10 ton Pettibone crane so we did--and broke
the dam 3' wrench in the process! Your friend (damn, I can't remember his
name) cut us a new 11" hex nut wrench out of 1" steel plate  (actually two
1/2" pieces of steel plate welded together) that night and the next morning
the Pettibone  loosened the nut with only a slight "tink." After that I
removed the nut BY HAND--although I needed Arnie's help to carry the damn
thing over to the nut pile after I had it off.
         And the stories I could relate about the comradery that developed
as the project continued. Only one other time in my life can I recall such
comradery! I thank you Rick for allowing me to be a small part of the TOD
Project! I'll take my memories of that experience with me to my grave!
         Dave
PS, Thinking about my grave, when the hell do you think the Tod will be all
back together and running on her own steam (or should I say "air?") I
figure that I only have another 10 years, or so, so how about getting on
the stick and making it happen before that?