[SEL] Last Ride of a Great Engine Truck

Paul Maples paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 19 16:54:01 PDT 2006

The story according to two witnesses who followed them for five miles before
the accident happened was that the passenger was reaching over and grabbing
the steering wheel out of my grandson's hands. The witness said they had
already went off the road once and she had told her husband that if these
kids did not stop that playing around they were going to kill someone. She
said that about that time she saw the passenger reach up again and grab the
steering wheel and yank on it which sent the truck careening off of the road
into a ditch and then they hit a culvert, went airborne, according to the
witness about 50' in the air and the truck went end over end and landed
upside down.

I talked to the state trooper at the scene and he said he could smell
alcohol so they gave my grandson a breathalyzer test on the spot and it came
up zero but the passenger, whom my grandson had just picked up was reeking
of alcohol. I understand that the passenger got a public drunkenness ticket.
My grandson got a ticket for no seat belts and Careless and Prohibitive
Driving.

Paul