[SEL] Wolseley R update-hold thumbs!

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sat Sep 9 13:38:36 PDT 2006

Hi Guys,
         Hold thumbs for me tomorrow. The 1928 Wolseley R is almost ready
for a test startup.

         For those who missed earlier posts on this engine:

         It is a 6 H.P. Wolseley Type R that followed me home in December
last year. It had no flywheels when found and being only one of two engines
of this type (that I know of) in South Africa there was no chance of
finding a set lying around. I was lucky enough to obtain a set of Lister
616 spoked flywheels and my friend, Justin Ludewig has made an excellent
job of making them fit. This will all be documented on a webpage when the
engine is finished so I will not go into details now. Suffice to say that I
think that the engine looks a 1000 times better with these spoked flywheels
than the original Wolseley solid flywheels - he's now a damned handsome bugger.

         In fact Justin has done 99.9% of the restoration of this engine so
I cannot claim credit. I think he has done an excellent job.

         I'm not going to go into details of the work required and done -
webpage will follow soon. Once we have it running well them I will start to
clean it up and paint it as well as make a nice trolley for it.

         I've put a sneak preview pic here:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/karoo/9Sept06.jpg>

         The fuel tank & cooling water connections are temporary and I have
to make a temporary exhaust tomorrow morning just for the startup. The
grinding marks on the barrel (cylinder) are where we welded up a crack
caused by frost.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans

---