[SEL] V12 GMC

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Wed Sep 6 19:19:25 PDT 2006

In a message dated 9/6/2006 4:16:51 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
johnculp at chartertn.net writes:

I want  to see pictures of this thing!

John,
I believe these are same GM gasoline engines that the Air  Force used in
their Minuteman transporters.  They used gasoline engines  instead of diesel
because of availability of gasoline versus diesel fuel in some  of the remote
launch sites.  The transporter had  3- 4 MPG  rating.  At some of the sites in the
mid west had to be fueled in route to  the launch area.  If I remember
correctly, the transporters had a fuel  capacity of 120 gallons.
I don't remember the cubic inch displacement.  However,  12 cylinder was
actually two 6 cylinder engines in tandem.  At the  beginning of the program, they
had many drive line/transmission problems.

Francis