[SEL] The new style webshots. What do you think about it?

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue Sep 5 11:03:10 PDT 2006

>From: "Dave Croft" <dave.croft at ntlworld.com>
>Subject: [SEL] The new style webshots. What do you think about it?
>To: "atis" <SEL at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>What do you think about the new styling on the webshots pages?
>My first impression is that it is worse than it was but perhaps I am missing
>some new features.
>Other peoples opinions will be appreciated.
>Dave Croft
>Warrington

Hi Dave,
         I'm not crazy about "Webshots" because of the adverts that load
first and take up our very slow bandwidth before you can even get to the
pics you want to see.
         Having said that, I logged on to your page and it does seem to
load quite a bit quicker than the old system so as far as I'm concerned it
is an improvement.

P.S. 20 minutes after writing the above.
         Oops - Drastic change of mind - the thumbnails load quite quickly
but I use "Firefox" and open the linked larger pics in "new tabs" - with a
slow connection they all seem to "timeout" - the adverts load O.K. but the
pics I want to see just "timeout" and I've got to click the reload button
for each of them . I get a page showing a large blank "place holder' for
the pic and a bunch of adverts "Cnet has launched in Britain" features very
prominently. Obviously their coding forces the adverts to load first. I do
not like pages like this.
         This is probably O.K. for all you guys with Broadband or fast
connections but does not work for me!  I also realize that it is just my
own problem that I live in a country that is going backwards fast and
Internet connections are not up to par with the rest of the world - but you
asked for opinions.
         How many of you guys out there on the SEL have the same problem as
me - connection speeds not up to standard ??

         The above is the reason why I love "oldengine.org" - no top heavy
scripting - no adverts - no bulldust - just engine stuff. Thanks very much
Jim you are doing us all a service that we probably can never thank you
enough for.

         Dave, thanks for your very interesting pages - I do look at them
often because you have things up there that I want to see (and am prepared
to wait) but I think that the "casual browser" may not be as patient.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans