[SEL] WALLA! Stover Gib Key Out - Thanks to All

Paul Maples paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 26 16:44:16 PDT 2006

Ok gang I want to thank each and every person who responded to my plea for ideas on how to get the stuck gib key out of my 1905 Stover Flywheel.

Here is the procedure that worked for me:

First I thoroughly cleaned the area around the gib key including the crankshaft. I wire brushed the area and got all of the crud off of the shaft and out of the gib key slot. I then used carburetor cleaner to get all remaining oil and grease off so that I now had a very clean surface. I then took a heat gun (not a torch) and heated the gib key and shaft area to get it warm, not hot. I then took a hot glue gun and made a dam around the key and filled this dam up with Kroil Oil. See this picture:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/StoverRebuild115.jpg

I filled the dam last night and this afternoon I saw that the dam was dry so I added some more kroil oil and noticed that it was coming out the backside of the flywheel so I knew that the kroil oil had penetrated all the way through the flywheel and around the gib key.

I then took a #2 drift pin and placed this between the flywheel and gib key and begin to hammer on it and the key just started sliding out. This picture shows the drift pin after I had hammered it in all the way and before I started adding spacers behind it to get it all the way out:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/StoverRebuild116.jpg

I added a few pieces of flat iron to take up the extra space:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/StoverRebuild117.jpg

Here is the key after removal:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/StoverRebuild118.jpg

Now one of the major obstacles I was dreading is over with. Thanks again guys for all of the help.

Paul