[SEL] OT quesiton about cast iron

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Thu Oct 26 04:47:03 PDT 2006

Thanks for the info - that sort of matches what I've heard, and experienced.
I've always felt exhaust manifolds seemed to shrink and get brittle. Never
knew why.
I've also been told that supposedly AMC blocks have a higher nickel
content than any other auto makers blocks. Some dispute that with actual
SAE drawings and spec sheets, but the rumors persist.
One type head seems to crack along the back bottom edge near the corner.

I've also got a spare F20 manifold I've been thinking of fixing up just in
case something happened to mine and wondered how difficult it would be.
Had an exhaust manifold from a Regular welded up one time - they fellow
literally welded a cast patch on the back of it and it worked great! NO
cracks. He was good.

Bill