[SEL] OT? Lathe HP question

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Mon Oct 23 16:02:10 PDT 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Edd Payne wrote:

> Hi Curt.Can't tell you without knowing the size of the lath but be
> a little careful with inverter control .They use a lot of them here
> at the local flour mill and overheating at low motor speeds was a
> problem when we first started using them and we had to match the HP
> and application very carefully.With the motor going slow the fan in
> the motor becomes ineffective.

Right on, Edd.  The problem is while running slowly and at full
torque, which is likely to be the case on a small, economical drive.
The voltage is at maximum, creating maximum heat.  Some industrial
applications will have a fan, independent of the motor, that runs at
full speed any time the drive is turned on.

Rob