[SEL] Fw: John Ames 3HP Stover - Needs Help

Gus gibsongus at myway.com
Thu Oct 19 22:12:39 PDT 2006

 If you can get at it ,break the ring and push the piston back up...-----------------GusWhittier, CA--- On Thu 10/19, Paul Maples < paulmaples at sbcglobal.net > wrote:
From: Paul Maples [mailto: paulmaples at sbcglobal.net]To: sel at lists.stationary-engine.comDate: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:12:02 -0500Subject: [SEL] Fw: John Ames 3HP Stover - Needs Help----- Original Message ----- From: Paul Maples To: sel at lists.stationary-engine.com Cc: AMESDOLL at CS.COM Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 3:45 PMSubject: John Ames 3HP Stover - Needs HelpHey Guys my good friend in Missouri, John Ames, has a 3HP Stover that had a knocking noise in it and he opened the engine up to see what was going on. He took the rod loose and was trying to rotate the crank to get the rod into position to push the piston out but the piston and rod fell to the bottom He just sent me this message:I HAVE BEEN IN REAL MESS ON MY ENGINE FOR 4 FULL AFTERNOONS. WHEN THE ROD AND PISTON DROPPED DOWN AND WEDGED IN THE OIL SUMP THEN THE BOTTOMRING ON THE PISTON POPPED OUT THEN THE PISTON WOULD NOT GO UP OR DOWN. I HAVE BEEN DRILLING THE TOP OF THE PISTON OFF WITH A SEARIES OF HOLES THEN PUT TWO 1/2

INCH ALL THREADS DOWN THROUGH THE PISTON TOP SECURED WITH NUTS THEN A PLATE ACROSS THE BLOCK THEN TIGHTENED THE TOP NUTS. SUCCEDED IN PULLING THE TOP OF THE PISTON OFF BUT THAT IS AS FAR AS I HAVE GOTTEN TO DATE. GOT ANY IDEAS? JOHNhttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/JohnAmesStover1.jpghttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/JohnAmesStover2.jpghttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/JohnAmesStover3.jpgGuys let's help old John out with some ideas on how to get his piston and rod out.Thanks,Paul_______________________________________________SEL mailing listSEL at lists.stationary-engine.comhttp://www.stationary-engine.com/mailman/listinfo/sel