[SEL] Perfect Day

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 17:46:58 PDT 2006

It's Rita's birthday today, and we had planned a day in SFO, generally
doing the tourist thing.

We left the motel early and left the hire car at the western end of
Golden Gate Park to avoid the 4hr parking restrictions. The No5 bus
stopped round the corner, so we hopped on, and were in the centre of
SFO before 09.30. We have a 7-day Muni passport which allows unlimited
travel on trams, buses and the all-important cable cars.

Rita wanted a look round  Bloomingdales super store, so we hiked
around that for an hour or so. Very nice but a bit upmarket for us!

The cable car museum and power station was next, and a short hop on
the next cable car got us there quickly. Any engine guy would love
this place. Noisy, but the sight of the cable machinery and the
infrastructure that goes with it was very interesting indeed.

Next down to Fishermans Wharf again, we went to the large aquarium a
day or so ago, bujt  parking restrictions left us short of time for
much else, so today we went to the old ships at the western end of the
piers, had another look at the Liberty Ship and the USS Pampanito but
didn't go onboard this time.

Our main object was the sailing ships and tugs right at the end.

This was a very interesting bit of the trip as most of the ships were
built in the UK,  and the manner of the restoration is excellent.
Found a marine engine tucked away as imitation  freight in the hold,
got a picture of that (Think it is a Hicks) plus the engine that was
on the dock three years ago has reappeared after a long absence, sol
that got snapped as well.

Got the bus back to the park, got back to the motel very quickly, just
sitting down sorting through the pile of pictures and a movie clip of
the machinery in the Cable car museum.

We both thoroughly enjoyed the day, albeit with rather sore feet! :-))

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com