[SEL] The Rice & Sargent Lives!

Rick Rowlands rowlands1941 at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 28 18:28:57 PST 2006

Arnie,

The Tod Engine Project doesn't need much encouragement.  Things are already
working on a full head of steam since the arrival of the last of the big
parts last September.

I accepted delivery of the hemlock 6x6 columns for the pole building.  10 of
the 20 concrete building piers are done, the other 10 piers will be poured
as weather permits.

A professional engineer is assisting in the design of the Tod's foundation,
to design something that will support the slow speed no load operation of
the engine while not cost me a fortune to put in.  To that end I am
fabricating some pedestals that will support the castings and be embedded in
the concrete.

I am fortunate to be working at a start up machine shop that has equipment
large enough to work on Tod sized parts.  I can use whatever machines I need
but in most cases have to set the machines up first.  For example I will be
turning/polishing the Tod's piston rods next spring but before I can do that
I had to set up and wire in our 40" Skoda lathe. (our LP rod is 11" dia. x
18' long).  So setting up machines and making preparations have been taking
a good deal of time as well.

In my free time I've been cleaning Tod grease off of literally buckets of
bolts of all shapes and sizes. These bolts now go back into buckets with
rust preventative applied and will be ready to go when we start putting
parts back together next year.

On Saturdays I have a volunteer come in to help sort through 10,000
engineering drawings from the mill the Tod came from.  That project will
last all winter.  And on Sundays I am at home doing various DIY projects at
our new place.

To get back to the topic of this thread I am very excited that Jim has the
Rice and Sargent running, and can't wait to get back up there to see the
engine operate.  I am sure Jim can't wait for me to get back up there as
well since he is storing half of the Ames horizontal uniflow which is coming
to Youngstown.

Rick Rowlands